Sunday, January 24, 2010

Run Away (Part I)


Have you ever been watching a movie and know something scary is gonna happen or something is gonna pop out? You can tell because the music picks up and it tends to be the calm before the storm hits for lack of a better phrase. I know I have said, "Don't go in there," "Or watch out," or "This never ends well." Well, this happens in real life as well when it comes to our sinful nature. 2 Timothy 2:22 puts it this way: Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the name of the Lord.
When I think of running from something or fleeing, there is a distinct sense that the object or person you are running from is gonna get you or hurt you. There is a natural fear element and the sense to get away from it QUICKLY. However, sin tends to slowly rope you in with the facade that it is fine and won't hurt much (more on that in Part II). However, Paul knows better than this and warns Timothy and the other readers of this. He even instructs TImothy instead to pursue: righteous living, faithfulness, love and peace. He also instructs Timothy to find likeminded believers and companionship to help with the fight because you can not fight this by yourself.
So, when sin comes down your block, do you run away/flee or do dabble and hang out there?
Do you focus on the "big sins" (drugs, sex, etc.) and let the little ones in? God makes no differentiation between sins. Sin is sin in his eyes and it all is bad and separates us from God. For me, I know it depends on my circumstances and situation as it pertains to sin. Either way, I need to have my defenses up and ready for any and all attacks from the enemy because they are coming. (Ephesians 6:10-17). I need to not set up camp when sin comes my way.

1 comment:

kyle jungers said...

great word, gregg!