Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Don't Know About That

So I am gonna double dip today because both of these have been on my heart recently (waiting and obedience). In college I tried to sit down and read some of A.W. Tozer's (known to many as just Tozer) works and I just could not get through it. However, I have been getting back into it and ran across this from Tozer, "There is something basically wrong with our Christianity and our spirituality if we can carelessly presume that if we do not like a biblical doctrine and choose not to 'buy' it, there is no harm done...The final test of love is obedience. Not sweet emotions, not willingness to sacrifice, not zeal, but obedience to the commandments of Christ. Our Lord drew a line plain and tight for everyone to see."
I know this is something I have struggled with where I read something in the Word and I disregard it because it was too far out there or something I felt I could not do. Then there are other times where I truly struggle and wrestle and try to grasp it and comprehend it. The struggle and wrestling can take a long time as I process what is being said. However, if we can freely disregard certain passages, doesn't that go against what 2 Timothy 3:16 says in saying that "ALL scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right." The other example coming to my mind is the story of Samuel correcting Saul in 1 Samuel 15 where he says that obedience is of way more importance than burnt offerings and sacrifices.
So in thinking about both of these (waiting and obedience), it comes down to control and submission to God.

No comments: